Friday, January 6, 2017

Taking Stock and Making Plans

2016...what can I say. It seems like it was an overall crappy year for so many. We were not spared from our dose of crappy either, but there were some really good things as well.

~We lost my father in law in March. That really is what blanketed our entire year. It still affects us and always will, not only because we lost such a great man, our daughter's rock, possibly my husbands best friend, but also because this means that my mother in law needs extra help. However, through all this, my hubby and I also got a lot closer, our relationship really has never been better and I am so thankful for that.

~This year had both my hubby and I needing minor surgeries, but both turned out well with no foreseeable ongoing problems (I will probably need thyroid meds in the future, but with my families med history, I probably would have anyway).

~Our dog is really getting up there in years. I thought she was turning 14 this year, but after finding her original paperwork I realized she will be turning 16 in March. She is slowing down and we thought we were going to have to put her down just before Christmas. The vet decided to try a chiropractic adjustment and acupuncture along with different pain pills. This seems to have helped and we are so very thankful to still have her with us. We will continue this treatment as long as it keeps working for her.

~The election - I won't go into details of my political views as that is not what my blog is about, just to say that they don't fit in with either side 100%. I wouldn't have been happy either way, so I felt there was no win, but I really was shocked that it turned out the way it did (as in having to read the reports 4-5 times, sitting down with my mouth open:/). I really don't know what to expect and so I won't speculate. My hope is that it won't be as drastic as some fear, and that some good comes out of it (whatever that might be). We will see...

As for 2017...This will be a year of transition and big milestones.

~Our daughter got her full drivers licence a couple days ago. This is pretty huge for me as it will drastically cut down on how much I need to leave the house. She will also be turning 18 this year, graduating high school and starting some college classes!! No for-sure plans on the future, just taking it slow.

~My hubby and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in April!!

~I will be turning 40 and will be needing to find a job at some point.

I've decided not to make a big New Year's Resolution, but instead make a few small goals for the year that I think will benefit our little family. Things like visiting extended family a bit more, writing to those that are further away, possibly a family vacation to celebrate dd's graduation/birthday. Things like that. I am working on a list, because I'm a list person:), but I'm not wanting this to be a 'HAVE TO DO THESE THINGS' stressful kind of list. This is more of a 'follow your heart/do what feels like needs doing kind of thing. More of a building relationships/clearing clutter/making things feel lighter and easier kind of list.

As for my crafting, I think for now I will just go with the flow. No big plans at this point, I didn't even join in any 'challenges' or new SALs :0) I'm sure that will change, but for now I think a quiet entry into the new year is in order. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of projects on the needles/hooks/hoops/waiting for the sewing machine, and I am actively working on them, I just am not ready to put any kind of deadlines on my projects. Just for pure pleasure right now:)

Many wishes for a quiet, easy entry into this New Year for you as well. :)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post, Shannon! I like your take on how you are going to move forward in 2017. I look forward to seeing what projects you are working on. Wishing you a wonderful 2017 filled with simple pleasures, enjoyable moments and whatever brings you happiness.

    ReplyDelete