Wednesday, February 18, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Lots of Yarn!!

I'm going to join in a time or two each month with Lee at Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesdays. Most of the bloggers post their quilt WIPs, and I will too if I ever get that bug again, but for now I'm thinking mine will mostly be yarn related:)

I started 2015 out with a new knitting project in hopes that it would be done by the end of February... Well, that's not going to happen, but I am around 40% done with it now, and I still love the pattern and the yarn!!
The pattern is Guernsey Wrap by Jared Flood and can be found on the Brooklyn Tweed website. I had several comments last time I posted this about how hard it looks. It really is not hard though!! I'm a very beginner knitter, as in I've only knitted a simple scarf and a few wash cloths. This pattern only uses knit and purl stitches, no increases or decreases or knitting 2 together etc (I'm going to stop now, as these are the only knitting terms I know so far:).  I did have to learn how to read a chart, but again it's only two type of stitches and in the end I liked the chart better than written instructions. The hardest part is to keep track of where I am in the pattern and I'm using a stitch counter to help with that. The above photo also shows a wash cloth that I'm (s-l-o-w-l-y) doing for myself.
 
This month I joined #SBSCALFEB15 on Instagram. We are working on South Bay Shawlette by Loin Brand Yarn, the free pattern can be found on Ravelry or on Loin Brand's website.  
I wanted to see how the different thicknesses of yarn would look and I'm happy with how both have turned out, however, I think I'm going to stop with the purple/gray one as I'm pretty sure I will never use it. I'm not ready to tear it out yet though, just in case;)

I have found that at least with this yarn (the purple/gray), the wool in it doesn't seem to be bothering my skin. I've tested allergic to most/all farm animals, cats and dogs (and am super allergic to rabbits and guinea pigs), so I wasn't sure how I would react to wool. And no, just because I'm allergic to animals doesn't mean that we don't have any. ;0) Dogs seem to bother me the least so they are the only ones that get to stay inside, though we've had a guinea pig - which is more of a problem when I handle them, a rabbit - it finally had to go to the office/storage building when he started shedding, and an occasional cat indoors:) I have to live on allergy meds and my inhaler, but it's worth it to me. We'll see how I handle the horse dd will be getting for her birthday in a couple months:)

I have a baby blanket that I need to start soon too, so I need to hurry up on these. I haven't decided if I want to knit or crochet the blanket. Here is a picture of the yarn colors the family wants - it is to be gender neutral as they aren't finding out the sex until delivery.
Any advice or pattern suggestions? And no, I don't find these colors to be very gender neutral, but hey, it's what the family wants:)

Okay, that is it for my yarn inspired update!!

No comments:

Post a Comment