Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Samples of knitting

For those of you who are experience knitters doing sample swatches of work before you start a project may not be new to you. However this is the first time I've done swatches and I ended up doing 3!! I am working on some lace curtains for my kitchen window. I explained the situation with the window in THIS post.

Even though I know lace with the holes and looseness won't show a pattern quite as much as a tighter weave, I did want the pattern to show through in my work. Plus since we are using this curtain to attain some privacy I wanted it to be a bit tighter. I am using #3 crochet thread instead of the #10 that the PATTERN calls for and for my swatches I used #3, #5 and #6 knitting needles. The pattern calls for #6. This is what I ended up with...
 The top (#6 needles) looks decent in this pic, but in real life looks pretty sloppy and a bit too open for the privacy we are wanting. The middle (#5 needles) looks pretty good, but I think the #3 needles did a better job of showing off the pattern. Still I was going to use the #5 since I figured the small one would take forever to knit up. Then I asked my hubby and he liked the smaller one, so that's what I'm going to do on this.
And a pic of the bit I had done. Yes, I 'had' done. This is not a complicated pattern, but it does take a lot of paying attention and by the 6th row I had an extra stitch on my needles and I just could not find where the mistake was. It had to have been on the 4th row and it had to have been an extra yarn over, but I just couldn't find it. So I pulled it all off and from here on out I will have to be extra careful!! :) I am just about back to where I was in this photo now and everything looks good this time. :)

2 comments:

  1. They are all very pretty, but #3's pattern does show up very well. I suppose this is a situation where quickest is not always the most desirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will be beautiful no matter what; #3 shows the pattern best. By now you've started so give us a peek at how it is going.

    ReplyDelete